ipw2200 and network manager

malcolm northcott mal42north at yahoo.com
Thu May 19 05:26:28 UTC 2005

Following Dan's lead I noticed that there was no firmware.... probably
not good. I downloaded the latest ipw2200 driver and firmware from
ipw2200.sourceforge.net (1.0.4). After installation everything worked
fine.
Presumably the ipw2100 is also missing firmware.
Is the missing firmware an oversight or is it due to an IP issue with
binary firmware?

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 13:40 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 08:16 -0700, malcolm northcott wrote:
> > Just confirming that I saw exactly the same ipw2200 problem on my
> > Thinkpad R51.
> > I also noted that ACPI still does not work for sleep mode.
>
> Assuming the card is eth1, can you post the results of:
>
> find /sys/class/net/eth1
>
> And also attach the output of "lshal" command to a reply?  Also make
> sure your firmware is in /lib/firmware.
>
> Thanks!
> Dan

Replies to Dan Williams questions.

Contents of network configuration "Hardware" tab
Intel Corporation 82801DB PRO/100 VE (MOB) Ethernet controller  Ethernet
eth0 okIntel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG
Ethernet eth1 ok
Results from "find /sys/class/net/eth1"
find: /sys/class/net/eth1: No such file or directory

Contents of /lib/firmware:
Nothing zippo nada.
Hmm this looks like a serious problem....

Results from "lshal"
Emailed separately since they are so long.

Reply to Peter Jones.
Oops, forgot to do this before I replaced the driver.

Reply to colin Charles questions (sleep mode).
I have a Radion Mobility 7500, so maybe that is the problem.
Sleep seems to work in apm mode in FC4 (by passing the kernel arg
acpi=off).