Malfunction in passwd checking.- more information.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri May 20 14:25:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 09:53:29AM -0500, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> I just files a bugzilla on this, but I wonder if others have observed
> this behavior. I would assume that I was late and someone else noticed
> this. In FC4test3 the passwd program returns Bad passwd messages at
> inappropriate times. For example:
> the passwd: lkd45j returns: Bad passwd: it is too simple.
> What is too simple about that passwd?
> the passwd: fgk08p returns: Bad passwd: passwd based on (reversed)
> dictionary word.
>
> Now you puzzle players out there. What word is fgk08p based on?
> I know it is the fgk that is doing it but I don't know why.
> This is very annoying.
> --

Since no one is responding let me give you information I got from
redhat. 6 character passwds are considered too short. If a passwd
entered contains 4 letters the same as a word in the dictionary (I
assume in the same order that gives the above error about the
dictionary work, I still can't see what word fgk08p corresponds to but
I notice that the first three letters in a permutation of that passwd
fkg08p might correspond to a well known word. I think their algorithm
is broken but they will not admit it, so if this is not bothering
anyone else I will give up.

It's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one.
		-- Phil White
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University