"GRUB" on boot after last night's rawhide updates

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:48:44 UTC 2005

On 5/24/05, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
[ I described my booting problems this morning ]
> that's very odd. I for one didn't see it, and I'm hardpressed to give
> you a good idea of what could have caused grub from being able to see
> its second stage without there being a change to your partitioning or
> filesystem layout.  afaik editting grub.conf isn't enough to cause a
> problem you saw, so i doubt the postinstall scripts from the kernel
> update caused this. I'd be somewhat concerned about the health of that
> disk.

Yup; in the past, when I've messed up grub.conf, I would get dropped
into the GRUB shell, which looks different than what I saw this
morning. I'd be sad if the disk were dying; this is my new laptop,
which is only about 2 months old ... I didn't investigate further this
morning, because I just wanted to boot and check my email, and when
"grub-install" from rescue mode worked I stopped playing.

> Is this a raid configuration by chance?

Nope: all one hard drive. I *had* been playing with the partitioning
over the weekend, but as far as I recall I didn't do anything
yesterday. Unless it recurs, I think I'm going to put it down as "just
one of those things".

MEF

--
__ Mary Ellen Foster __ http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/ __
"One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,