Trying to fix 8139too driver problems

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed May 25 01:44:12 UTC 2005

On Tue, 24 May 2005, David G. Miller (aka DaveAtFraud) wrote:
> From: Kevin Huffenberger <khuffenb at gmail.com>
>
> >I'm trying to install linux on a hp zv6000 laptop.  (Note to self:
> >never again try to install on brand new hardware.)  I have tried
> >several distros, Fedora Core 4 test3 is working best, but the
> >networking is working only sporadically.  Network seems to work okay
> >in FC1 and Ubuntu 5.04.  I get "link up" but "transmit timed out"
> >errors, so I suspect some driver conflict or misconfiguration.  I
> >rarely can get a dchp lease, but not usually.
> >
> >I have included below the results of lspci, ifconfig, dmesg, rtl8139-diag, etc.
> >
> >I have no idea how to debug this kind of problem.  Any input that can
> >help me track this down would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> >---Kevin
> >

> Not seeing that on a zv6015us but:
>
> [dave at fubar ~]# uname -a
> Linux fubar.local.davenjudy.org 2.6.11-prep #1 Thu May 19 05:28:02 MDT
> 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> I'm running x86_64.  On the other hand, I can't seem to get the
> slightest sign of life out of the wireless using ndiswrapper.

Um, if you're trying to use 32-bit drivers on your x86_64 box, I doubt it will
work.  But I'm not completely sure that's the case.  That's the problem with non
OSS drivers, you're not getting something that's guaranteed to work where the
kernel works (which is something you do get with in-kernel GPL drivers).

Dan