Out of disk space

William John Murray w.murray at rl.ac.uk
Wed May 25 15:23:09 UTC 2005

    Hello there,
            In the latest update for FC4-T3 I filled my disk up with
160Mb of yum downloads. The install went fine, but using Firefox
afterwards looked strange so I tried rebooting.

   Bad mistake. I could not log in. gdm error:

May 25 16:07:31 wjmurray gdm[4622]: gdm_auth_user_add: Could not write
cookie
May 25 16:07:31 wjmurray gdm[4622]: gdm_auth_user_add: Could not write
cookie
May 25 16:07:33 wjmurray gdm(pam_unix)[4622]: session closed for user murray

This happened even in 'failsafe terminal mode'. Now I could ssh in from
another machine and free some space that way, but why could 'failsafe'
terminal not be opened?

   Or maybe even better gdm could do some triage on /tmp, /var/cache etc?
              I know this is too late for FC4, but maybe 5?

     Bill