Locked screen

Fulko.Hew at sita.aero Fulko.Hew at sita.aero
Wed May 25 16:35:26 UTC 2005

William John Murray <w.murray at rl.ac.uk> on 05/25/05 11:27 AM wrote:

> Just a thought for improving Fedora. We now have a 'new login'
> menu item in gnome at least, which creates a new session nested inside
> the old. Isn't this MOST useful when someone has left the screen locked?

I completely dissagree with this feature request!

If I have locked my screen, I did it for a reason.
And that reason was, I didn't want _anyone_ else to use my system.
There should be no way for another user to overide it.
Only the system administrator should be allowed to do something,
and that probably would entail killing my processes.

> I come along, find one of my kids has locked the screen, and I can
> either 'ctrl-atl-tab' or go and look for him. Bein able to just nest
> a new session would be great.

Your problem appears to be that you want to disable the
screen locking mechanism so your kids can't lock _you_ out.

If you need another 'session' you could always flip to another screen,
login, do your stuff (even startx), log out, and leave the kids'
screen still locked and untouched.