Funky NIC on Summer 2000 iMac (was funky X11)

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed May 25 21:18:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 13:29 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> I have experienced one hard lock up while evolution was syncing a mail
> directory with imap server, I don't know what caused it - I'm not going
> to reboot in case it comes back (I've seen that happen with apparent
> crashes before - even when machine stops responding to ping) though I
> suspect it is dead and hopefully log message has something.

It decided to reboot itself.
After it came up - I saw there were updates available.
During subsequent yum update, it crashed again - same characteristic -
during download, and then reboots itself a few minutes later (might be
under a minute, didn't time).

I have to suspect therefore there is a bug related to the nic driver
that crashes it.

While it may mean nothing - it did not crash at all during any of the
yum groupinstalls I performed after the successful rawhide/http minimal
install - those yum were done without X running. Might have just been
luck too.

It is using sungem driver for eth0 if it matters.
I can't rule out bad hardware - I just aquired this mac (from mom, who I
bought it for when it was new ...) but crashes she experienced generally
seemed to be just due to lack of protected memory.