Firefox - why is it better?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu May 26 23:43:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 01:18 +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 11:11:51PM +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > The new gtk+ file selector has to be the worst abomination in user
> > interface design that I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.
>
> Hehe.
>
> On Atari ST, people _paid_ for commercial alternative file selector
> boxes! Some of them were really good. :-)
>
> I don't understand what's so hard to get _file_selection_ done right.

Mmmm, maybe you have answered your own question ;-]

My guess is that file selection is a tricky subject because everyone
thinks about how to do things a little differently, so everyone wants
there file selector to work a little differently.

I'm actually quite happy with the GTK+ file selector, for what it's
worth.  There's a few things (like big directories taking too long to
appear) that bug me, but I think it's orders of magnitude better than
the last file selector.  I love that all my mounts appear as a list and
that I can just mount them there (instead of having to do it elsewhere
and come back).  I can't wait until other applications figure that own
out (for example gFTP).

R.
 It's much better on my side"