Standard-Kernel doesn't compile on FC4T3

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sat May 28 19:01:37 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 11:51 -0700, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> > type
>
> If you read the kernel documentation, it specifies what versions of gcc
> the kernel should compile with. gcc4 isn't specified as one of them.

it actually specifies a *minimum* compiler version.

> Been awhile since I compiled my own kernel, but when I did - I always
> install the c compiler component of gcc 2.95.3 just for that purpose. I
> don't know if that is still the specified compiler or not.

2.95.3 is rather known buggy in places and while the kernel at times
puts in workarounds, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for kernel use.

> Fedora/Redhat typically (always??) uses the default C compiler, but they
> also patch the kernel code.

... but basically not for compiler stuff. The kernel people (me
included) try really hard to make the kernel always work well with
recent gcc's, often before said gcc versions even get officially
released.