nvidia and openGL

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue May 31 21:15:23 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:46:30PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On 5/31/05, akonstam at trinity.edu <akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:
> > What goes wrong when you try the install?
>
> the fact that the installer from nvidia delibrately overwrites
> libraries from the mesa rpms.. leads to problems.. for users who
> aren't aware of what the installer is doing. The most problematic
> scenario is when users need to update their Xorg packages including
> the Mesa packages. The rpms overwrite the nvidia libs that overwrote
> the libs from rpm. If you aren't expecting that to happen, users can
> easily misinterpet the resulting errors with bugs in the xorg update
> packages.  The other problematic scenario is if users are told to
> remove the mesa packages before doing the install of nvidia,
> subsequent usage of a package management tool like yum to grab an
> application that requires gl will pull the mesa libs back in to fill
> the deps. Again, users too easily assume that resulting problems is
> with the packages they just installed when it directly related to
> overwriting system libraries with non-rpm managed libraries.  Nvidia
> packages, such as livna's.. avoid these issues by placing the nvidia
> libs in their own location instead of blowing away the libs from the
> mesa package.
>
> -jef
OK, I admit that you need to remove the Nvidia binaries before you
install the mesa rpms , and then install the nvidia again. This is
because the two packages have libraries with the same name. What is not
clear to me is how if the nvidia rpms put the libraries in a differnt
location how are they found when they are needed?

99 blocks of crud on the disk,
99 blocks of crud!
You patch a bug, and dump it again:
100 blocks of crud on the disk!