xorg-x11 not starting after upgrade

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Nov 2 02:31:09 UTC 2005

Fridrich Strba wrote:
> It is a problem of fontconfig. Revert to the one in fc4 or wait some
> hours for the new one to hit download mirrors of rawhide.
>
> Cheers
>
> Fridrich

Thanks for revealing the package that prevented X from starting. since
the compiled tar.gz monolythic version of X seems have better looking
fonts mostly. (smaller fonts with easier to read format)
When I removed Xorg-x11 and it took out 45 packages, it left gnome
applications mostly installed. From the twm terminal, I can run
gnome-panel & and get all the launchers. (heck of a lot better fonts
than with the rpms for X installed.

Regarding updates hitting rawhide, I thought development was frozen. Is
development still pushing updates?

Jim

--
QOTD: