Why are you using rawhide (Re: Broken deps in rawhide reports; Participate in improving docs)

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Nov 6 16:50:36 UTC 2005

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Hi
>
> >The real question is..... what are people reading when they are making
> >the decision to eat rawhide.. and can we get the daily reports tied in
> >to those locations.
> >

> Good question. Perhaps people using rawhide can let the list know these
> details. Quick survey for those interested.
>
> * Where did you learn about the existance of rawhide from?

When it was originally announced on one of the old Red Hat Linux lists.
Somewhere between the RHL 2.1 and 4.x time frame IIRC.

> * How did you get started on using it?

Found a spare machine and tried to load it. Somethimes it works sometimes it
doesn't. :-)

> * What motivates use to use it?

Because it seems to be the only way to get things fixed. I am not a programmer
so, if I wait for the final release to find bugs, unless it is something that
effects a lot of systems the development time is being spent on whatever the
next release is.

This is especially true for anaconda bugs.

I usually only run Rawhide once things are starting to stabilize for test1
up to the final release.

I intend to fire up my spare box and load Rawhide "Real soon now"

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com