Why are you using rawhide (Re: Broken deps in rawhide reports; Participate in improving docs)

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Nov 7 17:43:26 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
> Good question. Perhaps people using rawhide can let the list know these
> details. Quick survey for those interested.
>
> * Where did you learn about the existance of rawhide from?

Googling RHEL 3.0 issues a couple of years ago and saw the Fedora books
on the shelf at the bookstore.

> * How did you get started on using it?

Downloaded FC2T1, installed and learned from the series.  Joined the FC
lists.  Filed a couple of bug reports.  Installed FC3T1 and continued
on.  Currently have FC2 final with updates to legacy point, FC3 with
updates, FC4 with updates and Rawhide on a multi-boot system.  The
Rawhide installation started as FC3T1 and has been updated from
development since then (some wild times!!). The multiboot system also
has the other major distros installed.

> * What motivates use to use it?

It is challenging and fun to keep Rawhide up-to-date and to compare its
features with the other distros (SuSE, Mandriva, Gentoo, Slack, Debian,
RHEL 4 and a couple other derivatives).

The lists are invaluable for the testing that I try to do.  Also, as
always, Google is our friend.

--
Regards,

Old Fart