zfs cddl & gpl

Bill Rugolsky Jr. brugolsky at telemetry-investments.com
Mon Nov 21 18:38:44 UTC 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 06:22:06PM +0000, Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:
> I started, or gave continuation to, this discussion, in order to
> ascertain wether it would be possible to use zfs under fuse.  All
> messages I've read about zfs stated the ilegality of porting it to the
> kernel. That made it seam like a final statement about zfs under fedora.
>
> I was just inquiring about another route.

The "other route" is to install Solaris 10 with ZFS in a Xen domU,
run it there, exporting the shares via NFS or whatever.

The Sun announcement mentions delivering Xen. AFAIK, Solaris only runs as
a guest in domainU; domain0 is only available as a GPL patch to the Linux
kernel.  So if Sun wants to use Xen for virtualization, it either has
to implement support for Xen domain0 in the Solaris kernel, or ship Linux.

You can do that now; run Solaris under FC5 test1, and check it out for yourself.

Regards,

	Bill Rugolsky