Testers - Specific Testing Request

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Nov 22 02:24:24 UTC 2005

I imagine that in a few days this list is going to become a lot more
active. So I'll put this request up now where maybe people will see it.

I would like people to test libvisual-plugins - which I maintain in
Extras. I've done some testing in rawhide by building the gstreamer
libvisual plugin (not in this package, not yet packaged for extras) and
using the visualizers with totem, and have identified one plugin
currently in the package that doesn't work (gdkpixbuf). Doesn't work,
doesn't crash totem, but totem spews errors.

Anyway - the fc5 version is linked against OpenGL and seems to work OK
on my only rawhide box, which has a VooDoo3 in it - but I want to make
sure this doesn't cause a problem with other video cards, including
nvidia with the proprietary OpenGL stuff they have.

Secondly - AFAIK the only (currently) packaged app that uses them is
AmaroK - which I don't use. I'll install KDE and AmaroK after
Thanksgiving when I do a T1 clean install - but in the Fedora User list
- twice I remember seeing people complain that they could not get AmaroK
to use the visualizers, and I don't recall ever seeing a solution.

It would be nice if it worked. AFAIK AmaroK is linked against libvisual,
so it *should* work. If it doesn't - it would be nice to figure out why
and resolve it before FC5 ships.

Thanks to anyone willing to test.

to get it - make sure extras development is enabled

yum install libvisual-plugins

to get AmoroK

yum install amarok

In particular I want to make sure none of the shipped plugins crash it
(I already disabled some that crashed totem when used with the gstreamer
plugin) - and if the gdkpixbuf plugin doesn't work in AmaroK - then it's
probably something wrong with the plugin and I shouldn't package it.

Please note I do not maintain AmaroK in extras - I just want to make
sure my package works there, as it is suppose to.