Availability FC5 - Test 1

Will H. Backman whb at ceimaine.org
Tue Nov 22 15:01:49 UTC 2005

Just a mild rant from a users perspective....

Having used Redhat since the 5.0 days, I think the tool names have
changed way too often.  Not only are tool names different between
distributions, but also within distributions.  I wish the LSB would
define "meta-names" for common tools.  Each distribution could just make
the standard tool names links to the distribution and version specific
tool.

Within Redhat I started with control-panel and glint.
I have progressed through gnome-rpm, gnome-linuxconf, and Update Agent.
Now I have yum and the system-config-* tools.
Am I now looking at something called Pup?

I think the tools are getting better all the time, but I think the name
changes hurt the manageability.