Some Experiences with FC5T1 Install

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Thu Nov 24 14:36:44 UTC 2005

Note:  Install on a multiboot test system, separate boot partitions for
each distro.
1.  Normal startup booting from cd 1.
2.  To partition, used create custom layout. Anaconda did not see all of
the logical volumes nor all of the raid disks.  Had to use a terminal
and re-create them.  All had been in existence before the install.
3.  Install failed when it decided that the logical volume mounted for
/home "probably" wasn't formated or some other error--reboot.
4.  Reinstall repeating step 2 above, but didn't mount anything from the
logical volumes except for the ones originally seen.
5.  Rest of install seemed normal.

Above in bug 174047.

6.  Reboot showed a strange screen with double icons, and lots of junk.
7.  xorg.conf showed the device driver as "vesa."  Corrected to radeon,
restarted X and all was well.
Note:  I have installed every FC Test since 1 and never has this
happened.  Haven't filled a bug, but will.  Where?  Anaconda or X?

8.  Selinux was activated even tho I explicitly unselected it during
install.  Bug??
9. Yum update...dependencies not resolved due to libslang-utf8.so.1
being needed by multiple programs.  Took some doing, but --excluding the
selinux items, etc., got system up-to-date.
10.  Reboot to test and initrd barfed, couldn't find my root partition
which is on a LV.  Rebooted with install kernel and initrd, forgot
Selinux was on.  Rebooted with selinux=0, old kernel and then on to 11.

11.  Shut off selinux, removed mkinitrd-5.0.11 (--nodeps), installed
mkinitrd-5.0.10 from install CD, recreated new initrd for the 1707
kernel, rebooted and all is well again.  Have seen a similar problem
with mkinitrd and will update that bug (169059).

12. All in all, things are not bad and installed system looks nice.
Everything on this test box is on LVs, except the boot partitions, so
this will be a good test.

12. Good work all you dudes who made it possible.

13.  Still testing and having fun between cooking the turkey, eating the
turkey, and visiting with family.
--
Regards,

Old Fart