Up2date replacement

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Sat Nov 26 05:00:58 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 14:55 -0700, Don Springall wrote:
> I  currently find that updating in fedora is a hit and miss proposition and
> I do not trust any of them. I ran yumex this morning and it reports nothing
> to update. The same with pup. I run up2date and it finds updates.
> Obliviously yumex and pup decided to use some not uptodate mirror.

pup uses the exact same configuration as yum itself does.  Which means
that it uses the mirror list by default.  One thing we want to do is add
a nicer way of doing persistent mirror selection, but I don't know that
we'll definitely get to it by FC5.  up2date points to the main download
site by default (which is less good, IMHO, from a bandwidth perspective)

> Does pup and YUMEX use --obsoletes by default ? Who knows !

Again, they use the default configuration as set by yum instead of
having their own implementation of this stuff.

> Up2date lets you decide to install the updates or not after everything is
> downloaded so you can do that later if you have run out of time.

Why would you run out of time, though?  How is having the time required
for downloading different from having the time required for installing?

> This is one area that I think REDHAT should spend a lot more development
> dollars on. It would also help if there were more groups for "group update"
> ie one for Gnome, KDE,  Openoffice and Eclipse etc if yum and yumex are the
> direction things are going. Please take PUP out back and beat it to death
> with a big stick. BAD DOG !

system-config-packages is going to get some love to have a backend based
on yum as well.  There just wasn't time to get it done before test1.
One of the things in the works here is reworking the comps file a bit to
flesh out the groups and then hopefully we'll also get some help on
adding grouping for packages in Extras as well.

Note that yumex is an independently developed application and great for
the user who wants an interface which gives you all the options.  That's
not what we're going for with pup/system-config-packages, though, and
instead are more focusing on making it easy for the user to install
software.

Cheers,

Jeremy