4k Stacks

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 21:00:43 UTC 2005

On 11/28/05, Don Springall <don_springall at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have been reading and article (http://lwn.net/Articles/159934/) that is
> advocating doing away with 4k stacks in the kernel in the 2.6.16 release.  I
> currently rely on  the kernel Hacking option to use 8k stacks so my stupid
> Linksys WPC54g wireless  card will work with a Linuxant version of
> ndiswrapper. Is Redhat going in this direction as well ?

I think you posted the wrong article URL

>From everything I've seen in lkml and  including
the somewhat editorialized summary at http://lwn.net/Articles/160138/ ,
we are moving closer to seeing 4k stacks being the only mainline
available stack.
As the summary article points out, native wireless drivers are being
worked on.. the brokenness of ndiswrapper is not going to stop the
march of progress of 4k becoming the default and only config option in
the kernel.

You would do yourself and the discussion a great service if you
follow-up on the summary articles you read by going into the lkml
archives and reading the posts to the original thread.
Start here:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/13/130
though you might want to skip to
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/15/228
or
http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/11/15/320

And if you read enough of that lkml thread you will notice that 8k
isn't enough to provide reliable operation of ndiswrapper with all
windows drivers people would like to use it with.. some require 16K.
But I'll let you find that little gem of information in the context of
the lkml discussion thread.

-jef"ho ho! hey hey! 4k stacks are here to stay!"spaleta