Xen kernels in FC5t1

John Summerfied debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Nov 30 02:14:53 UTC 2005

Andy Burns wrote:
> Gawain Lynch wrote:
>
>> Are the Xen kernels in FC5t1 *supposed* to be in a working state
>

> Not tried them yet ...
>
>> has anyone had any luck in getting the hypervisor kernel to boot as a
>> VMware guest?
>

> Is it even *fair* to expect that to work? Surely the Xen hypervisor

Why is it unfair

> needs unfettered access to the real processor?

AFAIK the whole idea of virtual machines originated with something, I
think cp, on some models of IBM System/360. In System/370 it became VM
(and the core of it remains cp) and has had more-or-less that name  ever
since.

One of the important features of VM is that it's self-hosting: one can
run VM under VM (ad nauseum).

All VM requires is unfettered access to the virtual hardware.

It might be, I'm not expert in this, that for self-hosting (or hosting
under VMware) of Xen to work (ow work well) it will need virtualisation
capabilities to be released by Intel and AMD in the near future.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait