Spamassassin slows things down like mad!

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 1 23:21:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 23:10 +0100, Paul F. Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> SA seems to have gone somewhat insane. It can take 20 minutes to
> download 300 messages with SA on local tests only. Switch it off and 300
> come down in seconds - literally!

Spamassassin has always been extremely slow for me even with local tests
only. Afaik the slowness of the application (perl?) is to blame. A while
back there was talk of rewriting spamassassin in C but I haven't seen
anything surface. Imho at the end of the day you are far better of with
postfix with some good rules which will stop a ton of spam attempts and
then add a drop of dspam to kill the rest. Has a bit of a learning curve
though but there are quite a few nice howto's to be found on google.

Regards,
Patrick