tkinter does not load in FC-5 and devel

Jose' Matos jamatos at fc.up.pt
Mon Apr 3 09:11:51 UTC 2006

Hi,
	I searched in bugzilla so I am asking here what is the place to report this.

Example:
$ ipython
In [1]: from Tkinter import *
exceptions.ImportError                               Traceback (most recent
call last)

/root/<ipython console>

/usr/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py
     36 if sys.platform == "win32":
     37     import FixTk # Attempt to configure Tcl/Tk without requiring PATH
---> 38 import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for
Tk
     39 tkinter = _tkinter # b/w compat for export
     40 TclError = _tkinter.TclError

ImportError: libTix8.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

	The problem here is that tkinter requires libTix8.4.so that belongs to tix

# rpm -ql tix | grep .so
/usr/lib/Tix8.4/Console.tcl
/usr/lib/Tix8.4/libTix8.4.so

	Yet in no place is ldconfig told to search for it, that is if I
add /usr/lib/Tix8.4 to /etc/ld.so.conf it works.

	Have this been reported before? Where should I add this report? python,
tix, ...

	I am reporting this since python-imaging does not build its tk interface due
to this. It works for FC-4 but not for FC-5 and devel.

	Best regards,
--
José Abílio