boot camp (Re: intel-based macs)

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Sat Apr 8 17:31:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 08:45:14AM -0700, Miles Lane wrote:
 > Hmm.  Seems to me that Redhat should spring for a few of these Intel
 > Macs for Redhat developers.  This is going to be a significant
 > platform, methinks.

davidz picked one up last week.  I eyeballed it at FUDCon.
He got it kinda sorta working.

It needs some work in various components
- He was using the Ubuntu kernel as the Fedora one currently
has some missing bits (and things like imacfb really need some
work before we can be as insane as ubuntu enabling this).
- Text mode only for now; Xorg failed to start up for reasons I forget.
(May need some X changes)
- Fun things like the built-in camera will take some time for someone
to reverse engineer (though it should be no harder than the one that was
in the old Sony picturebooks).
- possibly some other things that DavidZ will remember better than I do.

It'll get there. FC6 is way off yet, so there's plenty of time for this
work to happen.  Retrofitting it to FC5 afterwards *may* happen depending
on how much stuff needs changing.

		Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk