yum differential updates

Robert Mortimer rmortimer at bluechiptechnology.co.uk
Tue Apr 11 08:22:13 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 17:02 +0100, Robert Mortimer wrote:
> > On the subject of bandwidth, would it be possible to produce install
> > ISO images once a month that included latest updates? Images would be
> > dished out by bit-torrent and for each install would reduce load on
> > the main servers at time of first update.
>
> While spinning an iso set is relatively easy, verifying it is a bit
> hard.  Currently the way the trademark works, Red Hat would have to do
> all this.  Given our 6 month release cycle, that is a lot of work to be
> dropping on our heads.

Point taken

> > Alternately produce an update repository torrent with instructions to
> > produce a local update repository. Each day a new tracker would
> > be produced and used to update the local update repository.
> > This could be automated as a script.
>
> Um, whats wrong w/ rsync?  rsync to a local mirror, you get the bits,
> you get the metadata, you only get the changed parts from day to day,
> problem solved.  Why involve torrent?  Why make it even more
> complicated?

I just asked because there are not loads of rsync enabled repos around.
P2P you can throttle the bandwidth that you give and decide
what hours you want to be active for (i.e. active out of business hours or
active at home while you are at work) everyone could donate this way.

Rsync is a bigger commitment.
With rsync you need to be a listed mirror if you are going to pass it on

It was the ability for any user to give back that appealed, this may make
them feel they have participated, if they like the feeling they may do more

Rob - (but this is jus MHO)
By the way - thanks for all the work on FC5