yum differential updates

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Apr 11 09:07:02 UTC 2006

> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 14:44 +0300, Filip Tsachev wrote:
> > I know SuSe implemented some sort of delta updates (I only read news
> > back then), why not for rpm?
>
> SuSE can do something like this as I do believe they run all the
> mirrors.

AFAIK, SuSE handles mirroring basically the same way as RH does. I.e.
they run a master server and most others mirrors are run by volunteers.

> Since Fedora is open and we allow redistribution, we have no
> control over the majority of the mirrors that carry our bits.  This
> means that mirrors could be Unix, could be Windows, could be Linux,
> could be OSX, could be anything.  Delta RPMS require the server to
> have some infrastructure in place to produce them on the fly
Them generating delta.rpms on the fly would be news to me.

At least in the past, when I had been using SuSE this didn't apply. They
generated static patch- rsp. delta-rpms as part of their buildsystem,
not much different from generating rpms or repodata as part of
"building". AFAIS, this still applies (c.f. an arbitrary SuSE mirror
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/update/10.1/rpm/)

Ralf