Probmem with Native/Enhanced disk mode

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Wed Apr 12 07:01:40 UTC 2006

Newer motherboards have a combination of IDE and
SATA channels.  My ASUS P5GD1 has 4 SATA channels
and 2 IDE channels not counting "RAID controllers".

As I write this Windows is formatting a fifth
hard drive.  The system has a DVD and 250G on the
IDE controller, plus 4 SATA drives.  I have to
set the BIOS disk array to "enhanced" or "native"
mode to do this.  Otherwise the number of drives
is limited.

Windows works with this configuration, but FC5
does strange things, both the 386 and the x86_64
flavors.  Apparently Fedora has not been tested
on a motherboard using a mixture of IDE and SATA
deviced in native/enhanced mode.

It would be nice to have Linux handle machines with
many drives in IDE/SATA mixes as well as Windows does.
--
Chuck Forsberg    caf at omen.com   www.omen.com   503-614-0430
10255 NW Old Cornelius Pass Portland OR 97231   FAX 629-0665