firefox update to 1.5.0.2 possible?

Cam camilo at mesias.co.uk
Fri Apr 14 17:25:38 UTC 2006

Jeff

> Disabled by choice because  updates directly from mozilla.org to the
> firefox system binares are NOT going to work when applied to fedora
> builds.  The updates mozilla.org offers only work when applied to
> binaries produced by mozilla.org. You do a rebuild with any patches or
> any different compiler options and you get a different binary...so
> whatever binary diffs mozilla.org hands you can not be applied
> correctly. I can not fathom how you can fail to understand the
> inherent limitations of a binary diff feature that binary diffs are
> only valid when applied to the specific binary they were generated
> against.

OK I wasn't sure if it was a binary diff or if selected files and bits
of chrome were being replaced (I assumed the latter). I appreciate that
a binary patch wouldn't work.

The update method is still a good one, would it be hard for Fedora to
patch the in-house Firefox to use a Fedora server with the correct
binary patches? Then Firefox could do whatever clever things it does to
make sure that a user's extensions are still in order.

> If you dont want to use the fedora built binaries you are free to
> uninstall the rpm and use the mozilla builds.  Have fun.

I do sometimes use the Mozilla binaries but find it hard to remove the
Fedora ones (I can't remember off the top of my head what dependencies
keep them; some help browser).

-Cam

--
camilo at mesias.co.uk                                                 <--