Beagle 'firefox extension' broke

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 00:45:01 UTC 2006

Hello,

After updating to Firefox 1.5.0.2 on FC5, the Beagle extension appears
to be broke.  I did my update using Pup while Firefox was running,
because I was curious as to whether Pup would kill Firefox or not, and
if problems would ensue or not, and since a problem did occur I'm
wondering if this is the reason.  Anyways, the problem is that under
any user account when I start Firefox 1.5.0.2 I get a dialog box
entitled 'Malformed File' that says:

'Firefox could not install this item because "install.rdf" (provided
by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist.  Please contact the
author about this problem.'

This is a one-time issue for all user accounts.  The consequence of
that dialog box is that the Beagle extension is no longer listed in
the Extensions list.  It's gone.

So seems to be a problem with the update.  Is it Beagle's fault,
Fedora's fault or Mozilla's fault? :)

Benjy

PS: I was under the impression that if I updated Firefox while Firefox
was running in userspace, that a kill signal would be sent to Firefox
but this never happened.  Only when I exited Firefox and restarted it
did v.1.5.0.2 load.