rawhide report: 20060420 changes

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:29:07 UTC 2006

On 4/20/06, PFJ <paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Which is why extras would be a better place for them. The extras push is
> typically 12 hours after the rawhide one.

I think addon kernel module packages should be in Extras for a number
of reasons.

1)Extras has an established packaging guidelines for kernel modules
now. GFS would be a very good test of those guidelines and the
associated review process  :->

2)Community members can work with the primary maintainer to deal with
daily rebuild sync issues. It will be a hell of a lot easier if
multiple interested contributors were helping with making sure there
was a daily extras-devel build to sync with rawhide. Even if it moved
to Extras, without automation its still can't expect a single
maintainer to be able to kick off a rebuild every single damn day.
Right now the community contributors who care about GFS get to sit on
their hands and be frustrated because "we" don't have access to the
Core buildsystem to make this smoother.  The only testing being done
are by those people who are going out of their way to rebuild the
srpms locally on their systems with every rawhide kernel.. which quite
frankly is a waste of duplicated effort and quite limiting in terms of
the potential testing base. And "we" in the community can't do
anything but throw stones at the maintainer to fire off a build every
once in a while... pointlessly. But lets be clear automated triggers
would help if it moved to extras-development as well.

3The kernel modules are clearly addons since they arent in the kernel
packages... that screams  not Core to me.

But lets me clear this is not a lack of "caring" on the maintainers
part. The problems associated with the rawhide sync of gfs are
dominated by the technical limitation of the Core buildsystem, the
public push cycle of rawhide and the lack of access by interested
community contributors who would like to help with the effort. And the
same exact problems would happen for any standalone kernel module
packages in Core.

-jef