More adventures with FC5

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 22:18:17 UTC 2006

On 4/27/06, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf at omen.com> wrote:
> Omen.com is now running FC5 on a Celeron 2000.
> I had to set the motherboard to legacy IDE mode as
> FC5 simply couldn't hack the advanced mode where
> all the drives are accessible.  Mixed IDE and SATA
> is Windows country.

I was not aware of that. Ignorance is bliss I suppose: 2 SATA drives
and one IDE drive on FC$ then FC5.

> During this adventure the Windows partition on my office
> system had become unbootable.  I ran Windows Rescue and
> ran the boot repair programs.

Was that really necessary? A little patience can solve a lot. I had
the same problem. (I keep WinXP around to play Age of Empires) Turned
out Grub had the wrong partion info in grub.conf to boot Windows, so
it was completely missing ntldr.

> This resulted in a partition
> talble the the FC5 installer refused to read.

That is to be expected (not claiming that it should be _accepted_)

> Suse could
> read it but it was somewhat garlbed and installation was
> impossible.  Insert Live Linux was able to read and write it
> without difficulty.  Eventually I used the FC5 installer
> to nuke the partition table and things have been peaceful
> since.

Running Windows is a bitch, I know :)