fc6t2 install hangs after trying to start X

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Aug 11 11:10:10 UTC 2006

David L wrote:
> I tried a "hard drive" install on my IBM thinkcentre and it hung after
> trying to start X.
> Here's what I saw:
>
> Probing for video card: Intel Corp 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
> Attempting to start native X server
> Waiting for X server to start... log located in /tmp/ramfs/X.log
> 1...2...3...4...5... X server started successfully
> _X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for localhost:6001:
> Temporary failure in name resolution
> (mini-wn:462):Gtk-WARNING**:cannot open display:1
>

> The last line in the X.log was "No modes found on either pipe"

Are you installing rawhide? (current content on mirrors) - Or are you
using the dvd.iso downloaded to a hard disk or content of the
installation disc?

The first leads to a possible problem that Kevin mentioned earlier.
(20060810 changes - intel  i810 - lost accelerated 3D)

The second possibility leads to ssh and X forwarding, improper
permissions of the /tmp directory. The program that creates the socket
being started after the program that needs the socket. Also there was
some mention regarding the incorrect information relating to localhost
being passed.

Anyway, I have a computer with an 865G card that I can test the
installation disc on to see if I see the same later today.

Jim

--
Ha.  For once you're both wrong but not where you are thinking.

	- Larry McVoy to Linus Torvalds on linux-kernel