Installer FC6T2 hangs after starting X, uses 99% of CPU.

richard mullens mullens at ntlworld.com
Sun Aug 13 21:07:31 UTC 2006

John Muir wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Using FC6T2, motherboard is nForce4, with an Athlon64, PCI-Express
> nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra video card. There are no problems probing
> things; all of the right modules are loaded (sata_nv and the USB driver).
>
> The system works fine with all other distributions, including FC3
> which I am running now, but I haven't been able install FC5 or FC6.
> After X starts, there is a black screen, and the mouse pointer is
> working.
>
> When I go into the shell to try to diagnose, I see anaconda using 99%
> of the CPU.
>
> Is there any debugging that I can turn on?
> Is there a debug ISO of some kind where I can debug anaconda?
> There are already several similar bugs in bugzilla, but none which are
> identical. Should I open a new bug, or try to get more information first?
>
> John.

I had something very similar on Asus A8V (Via chipset) with x86-64 FC6T2.
After X starts, and strarting install, I see "searching for
installation" (or something like that) and then a blank screen with a
mouse pointer and nothing happens.
Interrupted it finally with Control Alt Backspace.

If I use an LCD monitor, the graphical install is unusable, and the text
install crashes with a screen full of starnge characters.
With a CRT IK get the above.

Suse 10.1 installs with some caveats.