FC6 t2 rescue mode problems

bloch at verdurin.com bloch at verdurin.com
Sun Aug 13 20:51:34 UTC 2006

Owing to the problem listed in bug 202139, I am unable to boot my laptop
with the current test2 installation.  I've been trying to use rescue
mode to install a non-Xen kernel.

The first problem I noticed was that bringing up a network interface did
not work - /usr/bin/ifconfig was not found.

The second problem was that installing the kernel once chrooted into the
installed system did not work - there was a complaint about not being
able to find /mnt/sysimage/var/lib/rpm/Basenames, even though that file
is present.

The third problem was that I tried to get around this by installing the
kernel manually.  When I tried using mkinitrd, there was an error,
complaining that /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions was not found.  I didn't
really expect mkinitrd to work, but I doubt it should have this error.