Execute permission on /etc/profile

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Aug 17 16:39:54 UTC 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:27:25AM +0100, William John Murray wrote:
>             I have had problems setting up proxies for system tasks,
> and just realised that /etc/profile did not have x permission on
> my new FC6T2 system.

This is not needed (and the same applies to various pieces
in /etc/profile.d) and may not even be desirable.  /etc/profile
is not a shell script to be executed, as then various environment
changes would apply to an execution subshell and would be reverted
on its termination, but something to be sourced.  Different
operations and not the same effects.

> When I added that pup started to work behind a proxy server, good.

No idea "in blind" what kind of "magic" may be involved here but if
something really checks x permissions on /etc/profile then it is in
error.  Are you sure that this "started to work" was not just
coincidental?

> Is there a general problem here?

I really do not know what is the problem but sounds like pretty
particular.

   Michal