Execute permission on /etc/profile (what is wrong with pup?)

William John Murray w.j.murray at rl.ac.uk
Fri Aug 18 07:46:55 UTC 2006

>On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 08:27:25AM +0100, William John Murray wrote:
>>             I have had problems setting up proxies for system tasks,
>> and just realized that /etc/profile did not have x permission on
>> my new FC6T2 system.
>
>This is not needed (and the same applies to various pieces
>in /etc/profile.d) and may not even be desirable.  /etc/profile
>is not a shell script to be executed, as then various environment
>changes would apply to an execution subshell and would be reverted
>on its termination, but something to be sourced.  Different
>operations and not the same effects.
>
>> When I added that pup started to work behind a proxy server, good.
>
>No idea "in blind" what kind of "magic" may be involved here but if
>something really checks x permissions on /etc/profile then it is in
>error.  Are you sure that this "started to work" was not just
>coincidental?
>
>> Is there a general problem here?
>
>I really do not know what is the problem but sounds like pretty
>particular.
>
>   Michal

  yes Michal,
             You were right. Somehow yesterday pup got through my firewall.
But it does not today, whatever I do with write permission on /etc/profile/
Maybe something happened to the firewall machine.
  I finally see that I have to set the proxy settings directly in /etc/yum.conf.
Wow, thats really is desktop integration!
               Bill