Kernel oops, 20060816 rawhide

Ola Thoresen redhat at olen.net
Fri Aug 18 11:50:48 UTC 2006

On fre, 2006-08-18 at 06:36 -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> Ola Thoresen wrote:
> > On ons, 2006-08-16 at 21:46 -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> >> Anyone else seen this on a current rawhide x86_64 system?
> >

> > I haven't got the oops in front of me, but the latest rawhide-kernels
> > have not booted on my x86_64.
> > Currently running 2.6.17-1.2530.fc6 which boots fine.
>
> I found a bad DIMM in my system; I got consistent failures in memtest86
> when the DIMM is installed.
>
> Hopefully, that was the root cause of more than one oddity I've been
> seeing on my system in the past couple of weeks (random sigsegv, bus
> errror, oops, etc.)

Don't think that's my problem here, as I can work on the system the
whole day without a problem. But booting any newer kernels will fail
during startup.

But it might be about time I do a clean install.  I think this was
installed just before FC5, and has followed rawhide/development since
then.  Probably a lot of old crap laying around from different versions
of libs and other packages.

Rgds.

Ola Thoresen