FC5 and Xorg 7.1 Current Status?

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Aug 24 21:15:53 UTC 2006

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 15:46 -0500, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just curious on the current status of Xorg 7.1 for FC5.
>>
>> There are various posts on various forums suggesting that it is "in the
>> works" without a defined time frame, though comments from Mike Harris
>> last month on FCP implying a desire to do it sooner than later.
>>
>> Now that nVidia has released a new driver version today (8774) which
>> supports 7.1, it would be nice to test the functionality available for
>> the 'bling'.
>
> the board has decided that 7.1 was not appropriate for FC5.
>
> I doubt that that was based on Nvidia not having done something, so I
> also doubt that that decision will change based on Nvidia doing
> something else now....

The question I could never get an answer on was just how much needed to be
rebuilt to make it work.  I expect more than people wanted to admit.  I
could see the screaming if 7.1 needed to have new gtk and qt and kde and
on and on...

Aren't library dependancies fun?

--
"Oh, Joel Miller, you've just found the marble in the oatmeal. You're a
lucky, lucky, lucky little boy. 'Cause you know why? You get to drink