Is kexec supposed to work on FC6?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Fri Dec 15 16:20:08 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a machine with fc6.x86_64 installed on it. Whenever I try to switch
the runlevel from 5 to any other runlevel the kernel panics.

I am trying to capture the output of the panic so that I can bugzilla it
in hopes of getting it fixed or at least understanding what is wrong.

First I tried to setup netdump but I could not get it to work. I found a
BZ entry that said netdump will not work on fc6 and most likely never
will be fixed. That BZ pointed me to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/?FC6KdumpKexecHowTo, so I gave that a try.
The problem is when I get to the step where it says to reboot and it should
bypass the BIOS it does not. The machine does a normal reboot.

Before I continue further, can someone please tell me if I am wasting my time
trying to do get kexec to work? If kexec is supposed to work, can someone give
me some pointers as to what I might be doing wrong?

Is a serial console still the only reliable way to get this info? I think I can
do that if I have to, but the preferred way seemed to be kexec.

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com