Please strip out the patch that brings up applications behind gnome-terminal

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Wed Feb 1 00:23:07 UTC 2006

Ian Burrell wrote:
> On 1/31/06, Miles Lane <miles.lane at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I cannot understand why on earth xorg or Gnome
>>has been changed to render new application behind
>>gnome-terminal.  Every time I run a program (surprise!)
>>I want to use it.  I don't want to keep playing around
>>with gnome-terminal.  So, can we please strip this
>>change out of Fedora Core?
>>

> I much prefer the new behavior.  I used to always have trouble typing
> going into the wrong window when a new application started while I was
> typing into another.  No more sending the root password over IM.
> Personally, I think apps should show above but never ever take focus.
> I am pretty sure apps can say that their modal dialogs should show
> above and get focus so they don't end up hidden.

The problem I have with that is that the popup dialogs are the
worst offenders.  I'll be typing into a word processor, and a
long running background process pops up a dialog saying, "An
unexpected error has occurred.  Delete the database?" just as
I'm about to type <TAB> <ENTER>.  Bye-bye database!

--
Bob Nichols         Yes, "NOSPAM" is really part of my email address.