Fedora 5 {test,development} on G5?

Peter Seebach seebs at plethora.net
Wed Feb 1 08:56:08 UTC 2006

Hi!  I have been told that I must make a very fast PPC system run Linux, as
soon as possible.

The obvious candidate would be Fedora 5 test releases, since the quad G5
doesn't work with much older stuff.

With FC5 test2, I had no joy even booting all the way.

With FC5 "development", I got a bootable CD (yay!), then spent a day
downloading RPMs.  At the end of this, I tried to run the install.  I
pointed the installer at the Fedora/ppc64 (I am a ppc64, yes?) directory
on the machine I did the downloads on, and it said it was fetching
"Fedora/base/stage2.img".  Then it announced that these files did not match
my boot media.

I noticed, around this time, that many of the files in the directory
I'd been downloading from were now dated Jan 31, which they hadn't been
when I started, so I assumed I just needed new boot media.  Here, we run into
madness.  There isn't anything in the likely directory:

download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/ppc64/images

In .../ppc/images, there's a boot.iso, so I grabbed that, filled in the
stage2.img and a few related files, just to see whether I could run anything
at all.  That boot image boots (yay!), and lets me fetch stage2.img (yay!).
Then it asserts that there was an error retrieving the installation file.
Poking in webserver logs reveals it is trying to find "product.img".

Only, I haven't seen anything named that EVER.  So I can't imagine what it's
looking for, or what failure mode caused it to start looking for this file.

At this point, I'm a fair bit stumped.  I am not deeply wedded to running
development releases.  That said, I'd be happy to run one, if I can figure
out what useful clue I'm missing for the install.  It seems very much as
though the "development" tree is being updated live on the server, because
there's new dates and some files not yet present.  But the test trees don't
seem to work.

So...

1.  Am I even barking up the right tree?  Do quad G5's run Linux?  Do they
run Fedora in particular?  Are test/development releases the way to go?
2.  Assuming it might be productive for me to install a test release, is
there some obvious pilot error in trying to boot from the boot.iso image
and load the files from .../development/ppc64?

-s