Fedora Core Test 2 in HP Pavilion dv1000

Alexander Sukhodolsky umdsasha at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 20:19:12 UTC 2006

David Malcolm wrote:

>>> I have rawhide running on my dv1000.  I installed it sometime around the
>>> FC5T1 period and had similar breakage to the symptoms you describe (no
>>> mouse or wired networking).  It helped me a lot to add "acpi=noirq" to
>>> the kernel boot line; most problems went away.
>>>
>> I will try next weekend and I try to give more feedback about the
>> "acpi=noirq". I hope this time everything goes well.
>>

> BTW I've doublechecked with rawhide, and specifically the wired ethernet
> doesn't work on that laptop unless you hack the kernel command line.
>
> I've now filed this as bug 179631
>
> Hope that helps
> Dave

I have fedora core 5 test 2 running beautifully on my dv1000.  Of
course, this isn't without some painful configs at the beginning (thanks
to all the peeps on the board who helped).
As far as the resolution is concerned:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HP_Pavilion_dv1067 --while this is for gentoo,
the instructions to set up your resolution works!

Wireless: this was definitely a pain in the butt.  But there are step by
step instructions within the archives--they work absolutely perfectly
(so surprisingly easy for linux that I have a tear in my eye for how far
linux has gone since 10 years ago).  But don't expect the light to turn on.

Mouse: dunno.  My worked as soon as I installed it.  You sure the
touchpad was enabled when you installed?  I have no other clue of why it
wouldn't work.

USB: works fine from install

wired network: works fine from install.

sd/mmc card reader: nothing yet made for this.  I found a site with ppl
working on it, but I don't expect to get this to work anytime soon--and
frankly don't much care.  Just use a fat partition (if trying to have
common media for a possible windoze install on the laptop) or use a USB
memory card when you get your USB up.

Anyway, I'm just another guy who has the hp dv1000 and I wanted to
verify that YES--fc5t2 works fine on the computer.  Try a reinstall or
something and post back what happened.