gnome is dead (kind of) since 2/1/2006 updates

mouse fedora-test at dsmouse.org
Thu Feb 2 19:12:32 UTC 2006

I was looking at this a little bit.  It looks like the apps are sitting
there eating up memory till they get OOM-killed (OOM==out of memory, of
course).  You can check this by running 'dmesg' and looking for
errors.

I did some further ltracing on a few programs.  "metacity" seems to go
till it gets to "pango_context_get_language" and then
"pango_context_get_matrics", and then sits till I killed it.
"gnome-session" didn't give anything so clear, but seemed to be opening
a font, reading a lot of bytes, and then moving on, forever.

For S&G I checked fluxbox too, which hung in XftFontOpenName, still
eating away memory.

The really funny thing is if I log in via a fail-safe session, root
*can* start gnome-session.