KDE update - no testing period?

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Fri Feb 3 21:47:39 UTC 2006

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Hi fellows,
>
> I like to ask about the process of KDE updates. We are actually seeing
> KDE 3.5.1-0.1.fc4 updates hitting the server. As far as I see these FC4
> updates never appeared in the updates-testing repository. This was also
> the case with previous KDE updates - last KDE update from 17th December
> brought us then a following kdelibs update on 22th Dec., fixing an issue
> from the kdelibs update of 17th.
>
> I think maintainers do not have to use the testing repository before
> pushing Core updates. But shouldn't it be mandatory for such package
> groups like KDE?
>
> Alexander

I have to say that I'm starting to get frustrated with this as well.  I
used to complain that there were no KDE updates within a release, but
now that it happens, I generally wish it wouldn't.  It has caused a
number of problems at our site which I would like to see restricted to a
full OS upgrade.  In this case, a sub-minor version release, it probably
is worth doing (with a period in updates-testing), I would hold off on
others.  With Fedora's accelerated release schedule (FC5 slippage
notwithstanding) holding off larger KDE updates during a release should
be a reasonable policy.

- Orion