ATI driver for X.org 7.0.0?

Steven Haigh netwiz at crc.id.au
Sat Feb 4 02:44:27 UTC 2006

On 04/02/2006, at 12:59 AM, Steven Haigh wrote:
> On 04/02/2006, at 6:34 AM, Chris Chabot wrote:
>>> Hmmm - I can't get this going... I download the fglrx-kmod src rpm,
>>> and do a "rpmbuild --rebuild -bb fglrx-kmod...." and get back an
>>> error stating:
>>>
>>> "error: Architecture is not included: i386"
>>
>> rpmbuild --rebuild --target i686 -bb fglrx-kmod...
>
> Doh! it's always something sooo simple :P

I've got a feeling that I'm missing something here - as whenever I
run something that uses GL, it's very very slow - so I'm guessing
it's still doing software GL... Can someone tell me if I've missed
something in the below?

1) build and install the kmod fglrx.ko
2) build and install the Xorg driver - fglrx_drv.so
3) Change the line in xorg.conf from "Driver radeon" to "Driver
fglrx" (ignore the misguided quotes :)
4) Restart X.

Now, if I run fgl_glxgears -info, I get:
Using GLX_SGIX_pbuffer
GL_RENDERER = Mesa GLX Indirect
GL_VERSION = 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.4.1)
GL_EXTENSIONS = *snipped the million lines :P*
X Error of failed request: GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
   Major opcode of failed request: 143 (GLX)
   Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
   Serial number of failed request: 29

This makes me feel that it's falling back to Mesa instead of GL being
handled by the ATI driver. Does this sound correct? Am I
misunderstanding something? Ideas?

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz at crc.id.au