yum leaving multiple versions installed

Ville Herva vherva at viasys.com
Sun Feb 5 08:41:48 UTC 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 04:12:27PM -0500, you [Jim Cornette] wrote:
> Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> >

> >>I've been using this to list the duplicates:
> >>
> >> rpm -aq --queryformat "%{NAME}\n" | sort | uniq -c | grep -v -E " *1 "
>
> This script works great! I added this to my tool arsenal. There were
> many instances where this would be needed information. Thanks!
>
> ~/find-dupes.sh
>       2 gpg-pubkey
>       2 kernel
>       2 kernel-devel

Btw, I don't suppose there's any way to tell if the duplicate install is
somehow wanted or legal (as it is for gpg-pubkey, kernel and kernel-devel)?

> That is a lot excessive writing to the rpmdb file and a lot more chances
> for things to go wrong.

Hmm.

I'm not sure that it would really be that much slower if yum did a clean up
after each few packages. But thinking further, it would probably have know
which old packages it can remove without breaking the dependencies of
packages that it is about to update but has not yet updated. So not as easy
as it sounds, I gather?

-- v --

v at iki.fi