gnome via startx OK, gnome via gdm not.

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Sun Feb 5 17:49:23 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 11:45 -0600, Brian Millett wrote:
> I have been booting into runlevel 3 for quite a while.  After logging
> in, I do a "startx" and enjoy the gnome desktop.  After the latest
> rawhide updates, I decided to try/test the runlevel 5 and log in via
> gdm.  I had several errors where gdm could not be launched and I saw
> that the path it was trying was /usr/X11R6/bin/... , so I changed them
> to /usr/bin/... When I did that, I got a nice gdm login screen.  Trying
> to log in however gives me only a session of "twm".  It doesn't matter
> if I try a kde session, gnome session, xfce4 session,etc.  All I get is
> a twm session.

Try looking at /etc/sysconfig/desktop and see if you see anything in
there.

If anything, maybe backup your /home/user dir, delete
any .gnome/whatever files and try starting it up from scratch and see
what happens.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"It's only funny until someone gets hurt...Then it's hilarious!"