KDE update - no testing period?

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Mon Feb 6 14:15:34 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Hi
>

>> My goal is not to bash the project here.  I'm just saying that I for
>> one am totally lost as to what direction the project is headed in,
>> and based on the amount of back and forth conversation on this list,
>> it seems a lot of people are in the same boat.  Is there some vast
>> repository of design goal and policy documents that I'm missing
>> somewhere?
>

> http://fedora.redhat.com/About. Of course end users have different
> opinions on the project.

I re-read all of that before posting last night.  My point is more that
there are really no guidelines to how the project moves in terms of
development.  What does a "stable" release mean to users, for example?
The kernel and KDE seem to roll right along in a stable release, but
other packages appear to be frozen.  I've also seen reference by Red Hat
developers from time to time that a "design goal for the upcoming FCx is
to..."  Is this info floating around somewhere, or just water-cooler
chat by RH employees?

Am I being clear about this at all?  To me, it seems that the About page
has a mission statement and some feature highlights, but nowhere in the
wiki can I find anything along the lines of true project management.  I
guess that's what I'm getting at.  And again, I'm not saying that what's
happening now isn't working, but just that it seems we're sending mixed
signals to people.

DC