KDE update - no testing period?

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 6 15:49:44 UTC 2006

Hi

> From the more recent
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview#head-f4e74f5f5b3e8b494808b5b87a408de91d668d99
>
> The operating system is Fedora Core. It comes out twice a year or so.
> It's completely free, and we're committed to keeping it that way. It's
> the best combination of stable and cutting-edge that exists in the
> free software world.
>
> Cutting edge. Stable. Choose one.

 We can strive to provide latest software while keeping it robust.

> Look at the way Fedora Core changes. FC's kernel went from 2.6.9 to
> 2.6.12.1. KDE from 3.3 to 3.4.
>
> That's not stability, that's potentially changing APIs mid-release,
> and that doesn't take into account the series of 2.6.11 kernels that
> didn't work for many users.

API or ABI stability in between updates is not generally guaranteed in
Fedora. Any given release of any software including the kernel does not
work in an ideal way for some users.

> Stable has more than one meaning:
> 1. Unchanging. If programs work today, tomorrows updates won't prevent
> them from working because of incompatible changes. Further, they won't
> change the UI, today's configuration will keep on working and so on.
> 2. Reliable. It works, and it keeps on working.

Like I said in an earlier in the context of releases and updates in
Fedora it means robustness and not stagnancy.

> We don't really have either of those in Fedora, because significant
> new versions are introduced during the life of a release.
>
> The event that provoked Alexander was just one such change.

I agree that major revisions of packages should go through
updates-testing repository(
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2006-February/msg00220.html
) but that by no means is going to fix all the relevant issues
especially when the feedback from users using the repository is low to
non existent.

--
Rahul