No floppy (or CD/DVD) after install

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Mon Feb 6 22:26:56 UTC 2006

Hi David:

On Monday 06 February 2006 04:02, David Timms wrote:
> Thomas Taylor wrote:
> >I have installed FC5.2 on my computer 3 times now.  Each time the nodes
> >for /media/floppy and /media/cdrecorder are not being created.  The /media
> >directory is there but it's empty.
>
> I think I read somewhere that it is udev's job to create the folders
> under /media/ as removable media is detected and removed. Currently my
> /media directory on FC5t2 + updates is empty as well.

The folders are not being created and there are no entries for either device
in either /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab.

> If I stick in a DVD video, a folder with the title of the DVD (eg
> Planet_Of_The_Apes), and also totem tries to play it, but given FC has
> no mpeg decoder, it just gives an error message. Also, a desktop icon
> with the title is created: I use this to eject to DVD from the context
> menu.

> >Looking in bugzilla, I found bug 177589 which is similar but doesn't
> > provide me with any insight into my problem.
> >
> >I haven't been able to use mknod because I don't have the major/minor
> > numbers for these devices.  When I tried to download the source code per
> > the instructions in the release notes, it failed.
>
> Floppy disk insertion is not detectable; instead nautilus Computer shows
> Floppy Drive. Context menu Mount Volume displays a small dialog with an
> X, but no text, then another error dialog is shown over the top "Error"
> "X Unable to mount media. There is probably no media in the drive". This
> is shown immediately, without lighting the FDD LED (I understand that
> accessing the disk is the only way to detect if there is a disk in the
> drive, and this is _not_ being done).
>
> if I su and:
> mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
> the disk is mounted OK and double clicking the Floppy Drive entry shows
> the contents of the disk OK, and a desktop icon is shown with the title
> mnt !?! (perhaps if the disk has no title, then it causes a problem for
> the current code ?)
> Neither of the context menus on for unmount manage to unmount the disk.
> df displays an error:
> df: '/mnt': Input/output error
> # umount /dev/fd0
> is successful at dismounting the disk.
>
> >Can someone please send me the major/minor numbers for those devices or
> >provide some other way to access them.
>
> Can you try the tests I tried above, and respond here ?
> If no help, maybe useful : ?
> # ll /dev/{cd*,fd0}
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root        3 (date time) /dev/cdrom -> hdc
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root        3 (date time) /dev/cdwriter -> hdc
> brw-rw---- 1 dave floppy 2,   0 (date time) /dev/fd0
> DaveT.

[root at linux2 ~]# mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
[root at linux2 ~]# umount /mnt
[root at linux2 ~]# mount /dev/hdc /mnt
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
[root at linux2 ~]# df /mnt
/dev/hdc                 11002     11002         0 100% /mnt
[root at linux2 ~]# ll /dev/{cd*,fd0}
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      3 Feb  5 00:45 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      3 Feb  5 00:45 /dev/cdwriter -> hdc
brw-rw---- 1 tom  floppy 2, 0 Feb  5 00:46 /dev/fd0

The devices can be mounted via cli as shown above.  The automounter doesn't
seem to be working as the cdrom is not spun up when a cd is placed into it.
When I try to use the icon, right clicking and selecting mount, I get the
message "could not mount device - the reported error was: mount: can't
find /media/floppy(cdrecorder) in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab."

Contents of /etc/fstab:
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/downloads        /downloads              ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/home1            /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=/source           /source                 ext3    defaults        1 2
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
LABEL=/temp1            /temp1                  ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/temp2            /temp2                  ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/usr              /usr                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/var              /var                    ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=SWAP-hdb5         swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

Contents of /etc/mtab:
/dev/hda6 / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /downloads ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda5 /home ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda3 /source ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hdb2 /temp1 ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hdb3 /temp2 ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hda2 /usr ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/hdb6 /var ext3 rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0
automount(pid1982) /net autofs rw,fd=4,pgrp=1982,minproto=2,maxproto=4 0 0

As you can see, no entry for either device has been created in either file.
What I want to do is create those entries and the links for them.  Is that
the correct approach, or is there a better way.

I suspect something is may be unusual about my hardware or it should have been
created.

Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+ m/b with two AMD cpus
1GB RAM
ATI RV280 (radeon 9200)
Plextor PX-708 CD/DVD recorder
Iomega ZIP 750 ATAPI (which also doesn't show up)
WDC WD1200JB (x2) hard drives
Ethernet Pro 100
Adaptec 160 scsi card
Seagate AIT tape drive (not showing)