system unbootable - libpam.so.0

Claude Jones cjones at patriot.net
Tue Feb 7 18:13:47 UTC 2006

On Monday 06 February 2006 3:53 pm, Claude Jones wrote:
> I get failures on cusd, sshd, crond, and atd after today's updates. The
> system gets to hal which reports "OK", and then just stalls. Didn't write
> them down, but the messages in each case refer to libpam.so.0 problems

No one's responded, so maybe there was too little info.
The boot errors say the following:
error while loading shared libraries: libpam.so.0 cannot open shared object
file: no such or directory
These occur with cupsd, sshd, crond, atd

I'm running kernel 1898
Booting into the previous kernel got the same result
Booting into run level 3 got me to login prompt, but , entering the username
returns another query for the username

Tried booting in interactive mode and saying no when it tried to start
affected services, but it still stalled, this time after "start svc. local"

Tried again saying no to the daemons and to start service local, but it still
stalled

The machine is unbootable - does anyone have a suggestion given the above
addtional info?

--
Claude Jones
Bluemont, VA, USA